|- CLICK HERE FOR EVENTS AND TICKETING INFORMATION -|
The Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA) Department at St. Francis High School provides the finest quality instruction in the visual and performing arts in a manner consistent with the teaching mission of St. Francis High School, the Catholic Church in the Monterey Diocese and the teaching mission of the Salesians of St. John Bosco and St. Mary Mazzarello. The study of art, whether by visual means or through performance, enhances and enriches a student's intellectual, physical, emotional, and interpersonal skills and the production of art is a manifestation of that student's intellectual, spiritual and compassionate growth.
The Visual and Performing Arts Department is one of the fastest growing areas of the St. Francis community. It offers a wide array of Visual and Performing Arts courses and activities throughout the school year. The VAPA faculty are excited to provide a dynamic and extensive program that collaborates with the student body, families, and the greater community.
Why Visual and Performing Arts are Critical
A Harris Poll conducted in 2005 suggests that 93% of the American public believe the Arts are vital to a well-rounded and cohesive education. Additionally, students who study a Visual or Performing Art:
- Develop larger vocabularies and more advanced reading and communication skills
- Are more likely to excel in all of their studies
- Work better in teams
- Develop enhanced critical thinking skills
- Have higher attendance and graduation rates versus non-Performing Arts students
- Have scored higher on reading and spelling tests, including the SAT
- Engage parts of the brain involved with paying attention, making predictions, and improving memorization skills.
- Are less likely to use harmful substances